logo separator

[mkgmap-dev] Should inter tile routing still work when splittingSplitter results again?

From charlie at cferrero.net charlie at cferrero.net on Wed Sep 30 09:21:17 BST 2009

Quoting Ralf Kleineisel <ralf at kleineisel.de>:

> charlie at cferrero.net wrote:
>
>> So my question to this list is: is there any value in an effort to
>> manually develop areas.list files for countries, using a set of
>> mutually-agreed criteria?  Or are most people happy with automated
>> splitting?
>
> One more problem with preset areas: Different people make Garmin maps
> for different purposes. So e.g. someone who needs a car map might drop
> all tracks while someone who needs a hiking map doesn't. Or someone
> decides that he doesn't need building outlines and so on.

This is true, but what you describe is an issue of mkgmap styles, not
of splitter tile boundaries.  I struggle to think why different people
would particularly want to define different tiles, as long as the
default set of tiles met sensible criteria (don't split major cities,
don't include large amounts of empty sea, where possible don't include
multiple countries etc).

--
Charlie