logo separator

[mkgmap-dev] Should inter tile routing still work when splittingSplitter results again?

From charlie at cferrero.net charlie at cferrero.net on Tue Sep 29 16:16:54 BST 2009

Quoting Chris Miller <chris.miller at kbcfp.com>:

> I don't have a definitive answer either, I'd need to study the problem a
> bit closer before I'd understand exactly what the consequences are.
> My suspicion
> however is that yes this will cause problems, because nodes on tile
> boundaries
> won't always match up with boundary nodes on neighbouring tiles, and this
> is a no-no as far as routing is concerned.
>
> Sorry I can't be of more help in the short term.
>
> Chris
More and more, I'm thinking that a pre-defined areas.list for the
world will eventually be the way to go.  It's surely the way that
Garmin works, and
- It would allow tiles to be aligned around major cities (rather than
chopping them in half)
- It would stop tiles overlapping different countries wherever
possible (and given the geometric constraints of the tiles themselves
- though didn't someone say that non-rectangular tiles were possible?)
- It means that tiles could be labelled appropriately (e.g. by
state/county) without having to rely on geonames or whatever

On the other hand, I realise that automated area.list generation is
helpful whilst OSM matures, and that it avoids having to maintain an
areas.list (which could be a lot of work as planet.osm grows in size).
  But once a working draft planet_areas.list was available, the sort
of scripts that Lambertus has already created could easily be adapted
to flag broken tiles (which could then be fixed by hand).

So my question to this list is: is there any value in an effort to
manually develop areas.list files for countries, using a set of
mutually-agreed criteria?  Or are most people happy with automated
splitting?

--
Charlie