logo separator

[mkgmap-dev] Problem with special Garmin label codes

From Gert Münzel Gert.Muenzel at netcologne.de on Tue Sep 29 14:15:50 BST 2009

>Gert wrote
>Hi,
>
>i would like to use also other special Garmin label codes like ~[0x1f]
>not only the highway shields..
>I could manage modifiying the "HighwaySymbolFilter.java" of mkgmap by
>adding a symbol.
>The usage also works if i only use one special code like in:
>highway=secondary {name '${ref|highway-symbol:stname} ${name}' |
>'${ref|highway-symbol:stname}' | '${name}' }
>where "stname" is the new symbolentry for ~[0x1f].
>
>But i would use a action like:
>highway=secondary {name '${ref|highway-symbol:oval}
>${name|highway-symbol:stname}' | '${ref|highway-symbol:oval}' | '${name}' }
>which should be give me as result e.g. a
>~[0x06]B51~[0x1f]Hauptstrasse
>if ref=B51 and name=Hauptstrasse
>
>But this doesn't work. The second code always is ignored by mkgmap.
>How can i get to work?

Still i'm not getting it to work so,
1.
Is it actually possible to get labels with garmin magic codes like:
~[0x06]B51~[0x1f]Hauptstrasse
working?
For my small understanding of the code in "HighwaySymbolFilter.java" and "PrependFilter.java"
it should be but,

2. How is the correct action in style-file for it?

If you only create labels like
"~[0x06]B51 Hauptstrasse" as it seems to be with the actual mkgmap
you are partially loosing the information from the name-tag.
A construct like "~[0x06]B51~[0x1f]Hauptstrasse" e.g. in Mapsource shows you the shield.
But if you then wipe over the Object, the full name "B51 Hauptstrasse" will be shown.
One GPS, iknow only the 60csx, seems to be a bit different.
Wiping over shows partially the name, depending on the length of the label. But if you prees ENTER while
being on the object, normally the full Object label should shown on the description page.
With
"~[0x06]B51 Hauptstrasse"
only "B51" will be visible.
So you e.g. can't create a waypoint there with the full name of the object as you can do it normally.
Constructs like
"~[0x06]B51~[0x1f]Hauptstrasse" or "B51~[0x1f]Hauptstrasse"
Garmin usually uses in its own maps.

cheers
Gert