logo separator

[mkgmap-dev] mkgmap, sendmap and family-name oddities

From charlie at cferrero.net charlie at cferrero.net on Tue Sep 22 14:11:24 BST 2009

Quoting Garvan & maew <garvan.maew at online.com.kh>:

> I have only written trivial programs in Java, and mkgmap is to advanced
> for me but I am trying to understand the code and I see that,
>
> mb.setAreaName(areaName != null ? areaName : "Area " + info.getMapname());
>
> in GmapsuppBuilder sets the area name when none is given.
>
> To me the behavior reported by Charlie Ferrero is more or less what I
> was expecting. There is no reason to expect a tool like sendmap would
> have the same defaults as mkgmap. My GPS has no external memory so I can
> not test myself.
>
> Perhaps Charlie Ferrero needs to try is setting the --area-name to what
> he wants his map named?
>
> Garvan

So you're suggesting that sendmap works through the gmapsupp.img file
and replaces the text in --area-name with that in --family-name?
Seems a bit strange, but I'll test this later to see what happens when
I set --area-name and then copy the file manually.

I'll also try a diff on the two files and post the results.

Charlie