logo separator

[mkgmap-dev] Splitting at country borders?

From Apollinaris Schoell aschoell at gmail.com on Sun Sep 20 22:58:49 BST 2009

> As I'he written before, I don't know the internals of osmosis. But
> if I
> the ways are clipped at a border, then it should be possible to
> create a
> new node at the intersection and mark the node as a border node.
> Is there a developper of osmosis reading this list?

I guess Brett has different priorities and a list of more important
work.
And it is not that simple. you need code to calculate intersection
between ways and polygons. I bet osmosis doesn't have such code. this
is not even a trivial, simple and fast thing to do. also you will need
to use the same polygon across all tools to get the same border
clipping. you need a slightly blown polygon since garmin tiles have a
small overlap between tiles.

> As some other users have written, then it would be possible to
> download
> the regions of interest from geofabrik and compile them with splitter
> and mkgmap and have a routable map.

no Geofabrik osm files are created with clipIncompleteEntities.
impossible to merge them into a consistent format.
They offer data for free. take it or leave it ....

> Then its not neccessary to download whole europe, when I want only
> bavaria and austria. I could furthermore load the precompiled maps of
> countires onto my etrex, just as I need them.

but why split along the border?  if you for example load bavaria-nord,
bavaria-south+austria-northwest, austria-southwest-italy-nord
is there any disadvantage? all borders are open in most of europe.why
reintroduce them everywhere.