logo separator

[mkgmap-dev] Splitting at country borders?

From Apollinaris Schoell aschoell at gmail.com on Sun Sep 20 22:44:36 BST 2009

Marco,

There is a problem with Geofabrik downloads and it is not possible to
combine 2 of them into a complete osm file.
  Since they provide it for free we can't complain. Instead we have to
use other methods. I am sure Geofabrik does that for a reason because
there are other use cases than Garmin routing.
For a user it should matter if tiles are across borders. they will
need all tiles from denmark to italy. why not simply create whole
europe and a user downloads the tiles needed.
Lambertus offers exactly such a service already at http://garmin.na1400.info/routable.php
  why would anyone split the map into more tiles just to stop at the
border?
since inter tile routing is still not perfect try to keep tiles as big
as possible.

>>> Johann