logo separator

[mkgmap-dev] Splitting at country borders?

From Felix Hartmann extremecarver at googlemail.com on Sun Sep 20 22:21:24 BST 2009

Johann Gail wrote:
>> neither splitter or osmosis insert new points. but it is required to
>> have boundary nodes in mkgmap. splitter would need to calculate
>> crossing points with the boundary or a provided split polygon with all
>> ways and insert the boundary points.
>>

> This is my opinion too. Whatever tool does the splitting into countries,
> it has to create new nodes at the intersection of the roads and the
> state borders.
>
>> you can do the presplit but routing can't work then across boundaries.
>> osmosis has different modes
>> - clip ways at the boundary -> no routing across tiles due to missing
>> nodes
>>

> As I'he written before, I don't know the internals of osmosis. But if I
> the ways are clipped at a border, then it should be possible to create a
> new node at the intersection and mark the node as a border node.
> Is there a developper of osmosis reading this list?

I'm not an osmosiv dev, but there is already (in theory because it's not
working, at least for me) - the option completeway=yes and
completerelations=yes which should be sufficient (both by default if not
given resort to no).

>>> I would expect the interstate routing to work. Precondition is
>>> obviously
>>> that the presplitted tiles don't miss any segments at the border and
>>> the
>>> border nodes have exactly the same coordinates.
>>>

>> still don't understand why this is useful. If you want multiple
>> countries and route across countries and tiles why split it more than
>> necessary and try to assemble again?
>>

> As some other users have written, then it would be possible to download
> the regions of interest from geofabrik and compile them with splitter
> and mkgmap and have a routable map.
> Then its not neccessary to download whole europe, when I want only
> bavaria and austria. I could furthermore load the precompiled maps of
> countires onto my etrex, just as I need them.
>
> So I would really appreciate it, if the presplitted maps from geofabrik
> are clipped 'correctly' at the borders.

I think many many people would like this.