logo separator

[mkgmap-dev] ANNOUNCE: Free Garmin MapSource installer available

From Ævar Arnfjörð Bjarmason avarab at gmail.com on Sat Sep 19 13:25:10 BST 2009

I've written a free installation program for Garmin's MapSource. It's
aimed at the people who are maintaining Garmin map exports of the
OpenStreetMap database. A lot of these exports[1] don't have a
MapSource installer, some suggest proprietary solutions and some have
a unconfigurable BAT file included or ask end-users to manually edit
their registry after installation.

I'd like to improve upon that, so I've written this:

    http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Garmin_Mapsource_installer

Here's blog post about it on the OpenStreetMap site:

    http://www.openstreetmap.org/user/%C3%86var%20Arnfj%C3%B6r%C3%B0%20Bjarmason/diary/7965

Like it says in the blog I'm interested in getting feedback / testing
from users & map distributors on how it fits their needs. So please
download the installer for Iceland (or make your own!):

    http://osm.nix.is/latest/default/OSM_IS_default.zip

And tell me how installing it in MapSource goes. Whether you can
install the map from there onto your Garmin device. And what could be
improved about the whole process.

1. http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/OSM_Map_On_Garmin/Download