logo separator

[mkgmap-dev] Splitting at country borders?

From Johann Gail johann.gail at gmx.de on Sat Sep 19 12:29:58 BST 2009

> So is it possible to configure the splitter do split the maps not after
> x-Number of nodes but at these coordinates?

No, this is not what I have written. There is some missunderstanding.
The recent splitter is not able to split at geographical boundaries.
This is the task of osmosis.
Maybe it is not too complicated to build this feature into splitter, but
at the moment it doesn't.
> Or is it posilbe to do a presplit, which creates a tile for each country
> and then in a second step splitting the country files?

Yes, this way should work. But for the presplitting you can't use
splitter. I don't use osmosis by myself, so I don't know internals of
it. But I know, that geofabrik splits its regions with osmosis.
> Then it would be possilbe to download europe from geofabrik, split it
> into countries and then crate maps from it.
> These maps would be interroutable. It would be also need less computing
> power/memory for doing this compared of
> processing the whole europe map
I would expect the interstate routing to work. Precondition is obviously
that the presplitted tiles don't miss any segments at the border and the
border nodes have exactly the same coordinates.

Regards,
Johann