logo separator

[mkgmap-dev] address search problem due to required "State" value

From Marko Mäkelä marko.makela at iki.fi on Wed Sep 16 14:32:36 BST 2009

On Wed, Sep 16, 2009 at 02:20:27PM +0100, Steve Hosgood wrote:
> The MDR file is a binary file - I don't know much about those obsolete
> 20th century text-editors like emacs, but unless it can handle raw
> binary, you're stuffed.

It can, if you tame it appropriately.  (Be sure to disable any input or
output encoding.)  Emacs even has hexl-mode for in-place editing of binary
files.  As far as I know, hexl-mode cannot insert or remove bytes, but
you are probably interested in in-place editing at first.

> I write programs to explore the file format and I guess the other
> investigators do too. I work in "C", I don't know what the others do.
> It would be good idea to have a repository of these explorer programs in
> source-code format for others to pick up and get off the ground more
> quickly.

Perl can be useful too, but you have to be careful not to produce
write-only code. :-)

	Marko