logo separator

[mkgmap-dev] Splitting an country borders?

From Apollinaris Schoell aschoell at gmail.com on Wed Sep 16 08:29:42 BST 2009

mkgmap can create routable maps across tiles. This requires splitting
on defined grids and is done with the splitter automatically
It is not possible to stitch data from multiple Coudmade/Geofabrik
downloads. They are broken at the boundary and this information is lost.
For a world map split the whole planet with splitter and run it
through mkgmap with option route. I had to lower max-nodes for
splitter to 850000 for north America. some tiles in canada have a
different node-way ratio and splitter still uses only node count to
make the split decision. not perfect but still pretty large tiles.
routing across tiles is not perfect and as efficient as on original
Garmin maps. But it works pretty well already.