logo separator

[mkgmap-dev] night-mode styling

From Clinton Gladstone clinton.gladstone at googlemail.com on Sun Sep 13 10:27:41 BST 2009

On Sep 13, 2009, at 6:30, maning sambale wrote:

> I am trying to create a nightmode styling for my osm-ph gps maps. A
> good inspiration are radarmaps:
> http://justin.everett-church.com/ymaps/radarMaps.html

Just out of interest, would it not be better to use primarily red
colours in a night mode style? (As opposed to the greens in the
radarmaps example.) For example, some astronomy programs (I'm thinking
of Stellarium specifically), have a night mode which displays
everything in muted red, as this apparently does not affect the night
sensitivity of eyes as much as other colours of light. I do not know
how much of a practical difference this makes though.

In a similar vein, I found that when developing night styles, that it
was best to use as few solid colours for areas as possible, and as few
bright colours as possible in order to limit the amount of light
projected from the GPS unit. With too much light, in otherwise very
dark surroundings, it would take a few seconds for my eyes to readjust
after looking at the GPS unit.

Cheers.