logo separator

[mkgmap-dev] Fun with splitter tile descriptions

From Johann Gail johann.gail at gmx.de on Fri Sep 11 20:12:20 BST 2009

I played with an similar thing some time ago, a year or so. My algorithm
was not searching for the biggest city, but counted the 'is_in' tags of
the osm data. The idea behind it was that should scale with different
resolutions. With big tiles it should name the tiles with the names of
boundaries, if I break it down into small tiles it should take the names
of the cities and villages. With statistical probability in a big city
exists much more is_in tags as in a small village.

This was inedependent of the geonames service and fully based on the osm
data.

As far as I can remind, the results worked in general, but the code does
not fit well into the splitter. I would have to search on my harddrive,
if the code lays around somewhere.

Regards,
Johann