logo separator

[mkgmap-dev] Which Nuvi?

From Thilo Hannemann thannema at gmx.de on Tue Sep 1 22:04:34 BST 2009

Hi Mark,

for collecting OSM tracks with your Nüvi you will want one where you
can switch off the "show on road" behaviour. If you can't switch that
off your tracks will always be exactly on top of the roads that are
already in the map. Very much useless for OSM mapping.

With my Nüvi 255W I don't see a way to switch off that behaviour (but
perhaps there is some hack that I don't know of). Also all the nice
options to control the tracklogging are missing, e.g. setting the
point density. From the tracks that my Nüvi captures it seems that the
distance between the points is about 30 meters, that is very far apart
for OSM mapping.

So I think at least the Nüvi 2xx series is useless for mapping. But
using the mkgmap-generated OSM maps on them works fine. They do
support the day and night modes (the Oregons for example doesn't),
true color display (this is missing from the eTrex series, they only
have 256 colors) and have an easily accessible SD-card slot (2 GB
cards work, maybe more). I don't know about marine POIs, those are
probably not supported well (but I don't know). Other than the Oregon
for example it doesn't have a dedicated marine mode.

Hope that helps.

Regards
Thilo