logo separator

[mkgmap-dev] Maximum map resolutions people use

From Felix Hartmann extremecarver at googlemail.com on Tue Sep 1 13:30:36 BST 2009

Chris Miller wrote:
> I've just chatted to Steve about this and it turns out my description below
> is incorrect. What really matters is the resolution of the overview map,
> NOT the resolution of the lowest zoom level you're using.

overview map is at 15 AFAIK, are you sure it's 16?

Anyhow we would really need not an empty overview map but overview map
with say all objects inside of the last map level. Say you specify down
to 16, then everything at 16 should be put into the overview map (say
huge cities/capitals, national boardes, motorways) and the map
themselves start at 17 or 18. This would give a good performance
improvement when panning far out on GPS. Currently even having only very
basic info in say level 16 will be quite slow.
If I were creating maps for myself only I would only go down to 18, and
use basemap on GPS from 17 down as it is more suitable at those
resolutions, however then in Mapsource orientation gets more difficult
(as our overviewmap is empty).