logo separator

[mkgmap-dev] Splitter --cache parameter

From Lambertus osm at na1400.info on Tue Sep 1 11:09:28 BST 2009

Chris Miller wrote:
> Something else I probably should have mentioned. Enabling the disk cache
> does NOT reduce the memory required to perform the split, though it does
> make multiple passes during the second stage much quicker, and the more passes
> that are used (via smaller --max-areas values) the less memory required during
> that stage.
>
> I'm still looking into the best way to reduce the memory required during
> the first (area subdivision) stage, since this is the one thing still preventing
> people from splitting the planet on a 32 bit VM.

I don't know what change made it possible, but I finally succeeded to
process all of North/South America with the latest splitter and 3.9 GB
heap space. I used the cache option and max-node=1.2 million. I've tried
this a few times before with older splitter versions, but this is the
first time the split finished without fatal errors. So I finally have
correct tiles for North America (at least the ones that got rendered by
Mkgmap successfully!): http://garmin.na1400.info/routable.php

I guess it's time for me to start hacking on a areas.kml editing tool to
get rid of all those red tiles :-) Or is the node density code already
functional?