logo separator

[mkgmap-dev] Improving mkgmap's Unicode transliteration

From Steve Ratcliffe steve at parabola.me.uk on Sat Aug 29 12:34:41 BST 2009

Hi

> But really what I'm more interesting in is where mkgmap's
> transliteration database comes from. Knowing that will help with
> further contributions. There's a lot more that can be done than just
> improving row03.trans. That was just a sample improvement that I
> needed at that time.

The templates are generated and the values were filled in by hand.
Nothing sophisticated.

Your post did lead to me to find a lot of useful tools that I had
previously not been aware of and it would be great if you have ideas to
improve it.

As I understand it though, you really need to know the language and
not just the character set in many cases.  There has already been
a posting saying that the Cyrillic transliteration should be different
for non-Russian languages.  So perhaps a somewhat different approach
is needed.

..Steve