logo separator

[mkgmap-dev] Maximum map resolutions people use

From Chris Miller chris.miller at kbcfp.com on Sat Aug 29 11:11:18 BST 2009

L> I never used the --resolution parameter as I don't know what it means
L> and does to the output/maps. Maybe I missed a discussion about it
L> earlier, but can you explain again?

Oh... I was about to point you to the documentation on the website but you've
just made me realise that there isn't any documentation for that parameter
yet! Whoops, I'll add it...

I think (but am not 100% sure - SteveR, can you please comment?) it should
be described something like this:

--resolution=13
Rounds the split areas off so they are suitably aligned to use with mkgmap
at the specified resolution. The resolution value you supply should be less
than or equal to the lowest resolution value you plan to use in mkgmap. For
example, if you are using --levels=0:24,1:22,2:20 in mkgmap, the resolution
you supply here must be 20 or less.

L> As you probably know, I split two files that to be able to cover the
L> whole world: A North/South America file and one that contains the
L> rest (I call it Eurasia).  The max-nodes is set to 1.200.000 and
L> problem areas are divided further by hand. Hope this info helps.

Thanks. If you're splitting even the whole planet using the default resolution
of 13 then there won't be a problem with the density map at all.

Chris