logo separator

[mkgmap-dev] Splitter --cache parameter

From Chris Miller chris.miller at kbcfp.com on Wed Aug 26 08:04:39 BST 2009

Hi Marko,

MM> Are you caching the command line parameters and the file sizes and
MM> time stamps of all input files?  That should be rather safe.  To be
MM> even safer, you should perhaps also cache the splitter revision
MM> number.

Yes I cache the file size, timestamp, and canonical path of each .osm input
file. I don't cache the command line parameters because they don't affect
the content of the cache. The cache is really just an optimised copy of the
input .osm files.

I don't take the splitter revision number into account however if I need
to make a breaking change to the cache file format, my intention is to add
version numbering to the cache format itself rather than use the splitter
version. That way new versions of the splitter won't require the cache to
be regenerated unless there has been a breaking change to the cache format.

Chris