logo separator

[mkgmap-dev] Garmin Edge 705 bug in bicycle routing

From Paul news at pointdee.co.uk on Tue Aug 25 23:00:11 BST 2009

> To summarize, this just a demonstrates a deficiency in the routing algorithm
> of the Edge 705.  It is probably impossible to get bicycle routing work right
> by tweaking the maps alone.  Generally, I have found the route suggestions
> useful for bicycle rides up to 30 km in urban areas.

Personally I find the bicycle routing on my 605 bizarre. 10km diversions
just to avoid going onto an A road, being sent down tracks when there
are residential roads available etc. It seems that the lowest category
path is the best one as far as the bike routing engine is concerned.

In very well mapped urban areas I dare say that it's passable but in
less well mapped areas it's just plain daft

Cheers

Paul