logo separator

[mkgmap-dev] gui for areas.list ?

From Lambertus osm at na1400.info on Tue Aug 25 14:06:58 BST 2009

Chris Miller wrote:
> If you like I could add a parameter to the splitter that generated the KML
> file automatically so there's no need for the additional script.
That would be great to have. Could the KML file then also be used as an
input to splitter?

> Maybe even
> http POST the resultant KML to your server and open the appropriate page
> in a browser for the user to view, though I suppose that would be open to
> abuse or loading down your server. Thoughts?

Most of the stuff should be done client side (OL) and the tiles
originate from the OSM server, so there won't be much that bothers my
server. But I don't know if you're willing to add a link to a page on a
not-affiliated (not directly anyway to the splitter tool) server from
within the code. It seems prone to failure some day ;) A link on the
Mkgmap/splitter wiki page seems more appropriate to me.

> What is the problem you're having with the red tiles? I think I saw you mention
> something about them elsewhere but I can't find a reference to it.

The splitter script was initially run with --max-nodes=1200000 which is
a reasonably balanced number in terms of the size of the tiles and the
amount of manual splitting work that has to be done to get all the tiles
rendered with Mkgmap. The red tiles in Denmark are caused by all the
house numbers which cause the guesstimate mechanism (--max-nodes) of
splitter to be fooled in thinking that Mkgmap could produce working maps
for those areas. Splitter should be more intelligent about determining
the max size of an area, ultimately.

But, as things are now, I'm manually editing the areas.list to get rid
of those failed (red) tiles. Unfortunately, doing the splitting of the
bboxes by hand is cumbersome work. I also expect mass imports and just
sheer manual labour will cause many red tiles to appear in the future.
These are the reasons why I was working towards a webbased UI that can
do the splitting for me with a simple mouse click.

There are also quite a few people who would like to be able to split
tiles because the tiles would otherwise include bits of data from
neighboring countries e.g. across large bodies of water (look at e.g.
France/England/Spain, Zweden/Poland etc). I have no problem with this
type of splitting result, but some apparently do.