logo separator

[mkgmap-dev] options: description

From Marko Mäkelä marko.makela at iki.fi on Tue Aug 25 12:47:30 BST 2009

Hi Valentijn,

> I agree. However, the "--description" not working gave me headaches,
> that's why I mentioned it at the --description description.

OK, I hope that it is a correct balance.  Make the help text too verbose,
and people won't read it.  Make it too terse, and people won't understand it.

> Revised (and combined) patch attached. Better?

Yes, except for one thing:

>  --description=text
>  	Sets the descriptive text for the map. This may be displayed in
> -	QLandkarte, MapSource on on a GPS etc.
> +	QLandkarte, MapSource or on a GPS etc, where it is normally shown
> +	below the family name. Example: --description="Germany, Denmark"
> +	Please note: if you use "-c template.args", then that file may
> +	contain a "description" that will override this option.

I would say "-c filename" instead of "-c template.args", so that it will
be possible to search for that string.  And instead of "will override"
I would say "may override".  It boils down to the contents of the -c file,
and you may write "-c filename --description=text" as well.

	Marko