logo separator

[mkgmap-dev] Overflowed directory error

From Clinton Gladstone clinton.gladstone at googlemail.com on Fri Aug 21 11:40:31 BST 2009

2009/8/21 Carlos Dávila <cdavilam at jemila.jazztel.es>:
> Hello all
> While compiling a map from 6 tiles obtained with splitter (manually
> adjusted areas.list) I get the following error:
> GRAVE (BlockManager): overflowed directory with max block 65534,
> current=65535
> There is not enough room in a single garmin map for all the input data
>   The .osm file should be split into smaller pieces first.
> I guess I must split some of the tiles but, how to know which one? Does
> it depend on the size (in MB) of the resulting maps?

My understanding is that this is not directly related to the size in
MB of the map, but of the complexity of the individual tiles (number
of nodes, etc.). Normally, if you use splitter to automatically
generate the tiles, you can lower the --max-nodes values until the map
correctly compiles.

However in your case, since you are using a manually adjusted
areas.list file, you cannot do this so easily. But since mkgmap
normally generates the tiles more or less sequentially, can you not
see on which .img file mkgmap died?

Hope this helps.