logo separator

[mkgmap-dev] R: Progressing patches

From Mark Burton markb at ordern.com on Mon Aug 17 10:28:12 BST 2009

Hi Marco,

> Hi Mark, I did not follow very well last discussions. I agree in enabling remove-short-arcs by default, but with no min length (i.e. min lenght=0).
>
> Could you please explain why arcs shorter than 5m should be collapsed?

Arc lengths appear to be encoded in units of 16 feet. That is equal to
approx 4.8m. i.e. an arc that is less than 4.8m is encoded
as length 0. So if we want all arcs to have a non-zero length, they
must be at least 4.8 metres, rounding up to an integer gives 5m.

Personally, I am not convinced that having zero length arcs really
makes a difference. However, some people report that the minimum length
needs to be greater than 0 otherwise routing is broken in some places.

Cheers,

Mark