logo separator

[mkgmap-dev] Another splitter bug

From Chris Miller chris.miller at kbcfp.com on Sat Aug 15 11:57:29 BST 2009

That doesn't really buy us much unfortunately, given the way the parsing
works the checks need to be scattered about in various places (otherwise
a separate validation pass would be required, taking even longer. I think
a separate validation step is outside the scope of the splitter).

Experience in dealing with huge volumes of unreliable external data feeds
at my current job has taught me there's only so much you can do to tollerate
and recover from bad input. If the source data is corrupt/unexpected then
it's often better to fail-fast and let a human deal with the problem rather
than make assumptions about what is wrong with the data and carry on since
that can just introduce further problems downstream. And something else I've
learned is that no matter how many checks you have in place, something will
always slip through the cracks anyway!

That aside, I don't think we have anything to worry about here. The splitter
is already tollerant of unrecognised XML tags and attributes and for the
most part this is all we really need. As I said in a previous post, any further
problems that we hit of this nature are best dealt with on a case-by-case
basis.

Chris