logo separator

[mkgmap-dev] Inter-tile routing failures - not all our fault?

From Mark Burton markb at ordern.com on Fri Aug 14 00:40:03 BST 2009

There is a particular failure of inter-tile routing that we have seen
quite often which is that it fails to find a route when the source and
destination are in the same tile and the only (sensible) route is via
another tile. (If a sub-optimal route that only uses the source tile is
available that will get used.)

Well, I naturally assumed that this was caused by mkgmap doing
something wrong but I'm not so sure now because I have been looking at
the free nz mapset that is generated using cgpsmapper and that exhibits
exactly the same behaviour as our maps do in this respect.

So, either the bug is in mapsource (and all Garmin GPS units?) or mkgmap
and cgpsmapper are both getting it wrong in the same way.

Cheers,

Mark