logo separator

[mkgmap-dev] best practice in adding address info for enhancing POI address search in Garmin units

From Marko Mäkelä marko.makela at iki.fi on Thu Aug 13 13:57:10 BST 2009

On Thu, Aug 13, 2009 at 10:47:07AM +0800, maning sambale wrote:
> What would be the best and more efficient way to enable address info
> in the POIs?

I've been assigning the addr:* tags to all POIs recently.  And phone, url,
opening_hours, name, name:* (for multilingual names) where applicable and
available.  The url might not be translated into Garmin images, but the
addresses and phone numbers are.  opening_hours is probably ignored in the
translation, and I'm only filling it in for bigger shops, not for
one-man-operations that can have flexible or irregular hours.

The URL might be handy for a phone-GPS-type device later on.  For example,
the URL of a bus stop (where available) shows the time table of passing buses.

> My previous attempts to use the is_in tag as a proxy to address info
> yield showed inaccurate results.
>
> My guess would be the full Karlsruche schema in liue of the is_in tags.

The is_in looks too informal for me.  One thing that is missing from the
Karlsruhe schema is i18n, though.  Street and place names are bilingual
around here, but there's only one addr:street and addr:city.  I've been
using the major language then, as with name.

	Marko