logo separator

[mkgmap-dev] Suggestions: improvements to mkgmap --style-file= and --list-styles options

From Steve Ratcliffe steve at parabola.me.uk on Sun Aug 9 22:27:51 BST 2009

On 09/08/09 18:41, Charlie Ferrero wrote:
> 1. Currently, if you invoke mkgmap with the --style-file= tag and point
> to a non-existent style file (or incorrect path), mkgmap continues
> regardless (and applies the inbuilt default style, afaict).  Can I
> suggest a patch to mkgmap that at least makes it clear that no style
> file was found in this circumstance?  Sadly I lack the programming
> skills to do this, but hopefully it's a relatively trivial thing to change.

Yes this should be done. It has been requested once or
twice before.

> 2. Secondly it seems to me that mkgmap has three inbuilt styles
> (default, noname, test) that you cannot change by editing the files in
> the resources folder.

Yes that is right. The resource directory is effectively source
code and perhaps shouldn't be included. It is not required as
everything in there that is required is inside the mkgmap.jar.

Its a good source of examples I guess.

You have worked it out perfectly correctly; the --style-file argument
is to use styles that are external to the mkgmap.jar file and so
not built in.

..Steve