logo separator

[mkgmap-dev] Memory limits for mkgmap and splitter

From Lambertus osm at na1400.info on Fri Aug 7 08:32:57 BST 2009

Tested this latest version on my American extract with -Xmx4000m:

With 1.2 million nodes the Java VM crashed due to lack of memory. Using
  1 million nodes the split succeeded with 367 areas in 3:20 hours. Some
swapping was noticed (bad for speed).

Although I'd rather use the 1.2 million setting, as that is a nice
balance between the number of failed map builds and map size worldwide,
using 1 million now enables me to do all the work myself instead of
relying on others. Great, thanks a million!

Next up: splitting the whole world on my laptop and process the output
with mkgmap. See which areas need fixing manually...