logo separator

[mkgmap-dev] Memory limits for mkgmap and splitter

From Greg Troxel gdt at ir.bbn.com on Wed Aug 5 23:41:38 BST 2009

Johann Gail <johann.gail at gmx.de> writes:

> Just an thought from reading the thread:
> Multiple parsing runs with an bz2 zipped file could do worse to the
> performance. It would mean multiple decompressing of the input files.
> And in my experience decompressing bz2 costs a lot of resources.
>
> (In my case I'm directly using the osm.bz2 files from geofabrik as input.)

Perhaps true, but you should have seen the runtime from running mkgmap
on input files that needed more than 1.8G per area on a machine with 2G
of RAM.  Redoing bz2 on the input a few times would have been fine
compared to paging.  I realize this is tough, as the right tuning is heavily dependent on how much memory is available.