logo separator

[mkgmap-dev] Magic highway symbols on Vista CX failing

From Clinton Gladstone clinton.gladstone at googlemail.com on Sat Aug 1 10:09:00 BST 2009

On Jul 31, 2009, at 19:54, Alexander Wittig wrote:

> So I did some research and I think the problem is that not all of the
> "magic" symbols in
> src/uk/me/parabola/mkgmap/osmstyle/actions/HighwaySymbolFilter.java
> are
> available on the unit. Also they are named wrongly for this unit.

Just out of interest, have you tried using the  --latin1 option when
you compile your map?

This switches to 8-bit mode (or something) which uses different byte
codes for the highway symbols. It is possible that there are errors in
the 6-bit codes.

At any rate, I compile my maps with this option, and the highway
symbols appear correctly, both in Mapsource and on my eTrex Vista HCx,
which I assume should be very close to your Vista CX in display
characteristics.

When I tested this, I also noticed that the US Interstate and other
highway shields were of limited use, as they appeared to only display
numeric values. Therefore I stayed with the highway-symbol:hbox, box
and oval symbols.