logo separator

[mkgmap-dev] - make cycleway tracks

From Mark Burton markb at ordern.com on Fri Jul 24 15:19:05 BST 2009

On Fri, 24 Jul 2009 13:56:19 +0000 (UTC)
Sven Geggus <lists at fuchsschwanzdomain.de> wrote:

> Mark Burton <markb at ordern.com> wrote:
>
> > I have no problem with matching more tags. However, left, right and yes
> > are not discussed on http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Key:cycleway
> > how are they meant to be used?
>
> http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Proposed_features/Advanced_footway_and_cycleway
>
> left and right are major roads with cycleways on one side of the road only.

OK - thanks for the link.

So, as the cycleway gets generated using the same points as the
original way, left and right can't really work as expected. However, we
can still generate the cycleway, it just won't be biased to either side
of the original way. The tag value "yes" doesn't get mentioned so I
don't think we should accept that. The tags it can match could be:

track, lane, both, left and right.

> >> Hm, I'm not shure if this is a good idea, because the Garmin devices tend
> >> to prefer real cycleways over generic roads. This may not be the expected
> >> behaviour for one-way roads thus it might be better to assign the real type
> >> of "highway".
> >
> > Sorry, not sure what you're saying here.
>
> Is this due to my improper english? I'm not a native speaker after all.

No, I don't think it is your english, I can perfectly understand
everything else you write!

> I will try to explain along the lines of the patch...
>
> You replaced cycleWay.copyTags with new code, this way you end e.g. up with
> something like this:
>
> highway=cycleway
> (+ more tags)
>
> instead of:
>
> highway=residential
> (+ more tags)

Yes, but only on the cycleway, not the orginal way.

> However, this may lead to a situation, where cycling one-way roads into the
> opposite direction might get _prefered_ over cycling into the ordinary
> direction in cases where cycleways are prefered over residential roads.
>
> This is almost certainly not an expected behaviour.

Let me see if I understand this right: you are saying that with the
opposite cycleway now tagged as highway=cycleway, it could be possible
for that way to be used in preference to another way (that isn't a
cycleway) because cycleways have a higher precedence for bicycle
routing?

Hmm, this will depend on what Garmin codes are assigned to the
different ways and the effect that has on the routing.

What line type codes do people use for cycleways?

Cheers,

Mark