logo separator

[mkgmap-dev] missing tooltips, map blanking

From Valentijn Sessink valentyn at blub.net on Thu Jul 23 19:07:16 BST 2009

Hello list,

I've been trying to build a reproduceable case where tooltips (in
Mapsource) are missing on a map boundary; this seems to correlate with
the map blanking when you zoom in to 70, 50, 30 and 20m level.

I sort of succeeded, but I cannot find a clue to what causes this.

I ran the following submap, it has a problem when you zoom into the
0x251000 boundary (the lower boundary of the map):
63240008: 0x251000,0x25000 to 0x255000,0x39000

But then: when you increase or decrease the map size, the lower boundary
will show again! So having latitude 0x251000 - 0x253000 is no problem;
0x251000 - 0x257000 is not a problem, too.

I also tried to narrow this down to certain map details, like taking out
all "too many areas" ways; I also opened the map in JOSM (which shows a
couple of errors about ways it skips because of missing nodes), then
save the file again, but this doesn't change anything.

So for the moment, I basically ran out of ideas. I will try to split the
resulting map some more, and will also try if a different overlap makes
any difference. Also, running this split on a newer map of the
Netherlands could also change things - I don't know, I will try. I'm
still hoping to get a trivial diff between a map that works and a map
that doesn't work - if I do, I will mention it here.

If anyone else finds something (maybe you even find that running the
split above will give you a map that will let you zoom into it - please
let me know.

Just for the record:
java -Xmx1600m -enableassertions -jar splitter.jar
--split-file=see-above netherlands.osm
# where netherlands comes from
# http://download.geofabrik.de/osm/europe/netherlands.osm.bz2

Splitter is the most recent, including a rather trivial patch so that it
will read hex numbers in the areas.list file (I sent that on the list a
couple of days before). (Steve, if there's nothing against it, could you
add it to Splitter, please?)

My mkgmap command is:
java -enableassertions -Xmx1800m -jar
~/garmintest/mkgmap/dist/mkgmap.jar --country-name=Nederland
--country-abbr=NL --latin1 --remove-short-arcs --lower-case --route
--preserve-element-order --location-autofill-1 --gmapsupp --tdbfile
--net -c template.args

with mkgmap being the latest version (I think 1097, compiled from source).

Maybe someone else has a good idea. I hope that the split above will
still yield wrong results with a more recent Netherlands file;
otherwise, I'll put the resulting 63240008.osm.gz on the web somewhere,
maybe that will help.

Best regards,

Valentijn