logo separator

[mkgmap-dev] Long Distance Routing

From Paul news at pointdee.co.uk on Wed Jul 15 21:05:06 BST 2009

I don't know when this happened as I haven't tried long distance routing
for a while but I noticed today that this is vastly improved. I (amongst
others) have commented previously about the sometimes strange routes
chosen when trying to route long distances and Mark suggested at the
time that we may simply be asking too much of the devices. These routes
would work but would be far from optimal i.e from Manchester to Cornwall
would go through the middle of Manchester, on to the M6, off the M6 ,
through Birmingham, on to the M5, off the M5 through Bristol, onto the
M5 again and then finally on to the destination.

Today, however, when trying a similar route the given route was M60, M6,
M5 with no deviations which to me is exactly the way I would travel.
Additionally my 605 can now calculate routes to places further away than
it previously could.

As this is such an improvement and I missed it at the time I thought I'd
drop a quick line to say thanks to whoever found the magic key.

Cheers

Paul