logo separator

[mkgmap-dev] Route recalculation; error circle

From maning sambale emmanuel.sambale at gmail.com on Sat Jul 4 07:13:52 BST 2009

Probably a related report by another user:

" Re- calculation was also fast most of the time, typically taking
less than 10 seconds. In some cases it immediately recalculated as
soon as I went off route.

I noticed however that I'm unable to calculate a route when my
starting position is off road. Even if I'm just a few feet to the side
of the road eg sidewalk, I'm unable to calculate a route to any
destination. "

On Sat, Jul 4, 2009 at 2:05 PM, Marko Mäkelä<marko.makela at iki.fi> wrote:
> I made some observations on my Edge 705 yesterday.  The route recalculation
> sensitivity varies in bicycle mode.  Sometimes, I can ride a couple hundred
> metres until getting a notice; other times, I get the notice within a couple
> dozen metres.
>
> This might have something to do with junctions and parallel roads.  Once,
> I rode on a cycleway that is almost parallel to the calculated route.  In
> the next junction, it told me to turn the right way, even though the
> current position was indicated correctly.
>
> Another observation: I can confirm what someone said earlier about the
> error circle around the current position marker.  Even though the GPS
> accuracy is something like 5 metres most of the time, the radius of the
> error circle on the map is something like 20 metres.  It will get bigger
> when there are obstructions, such as tunnels or tall buildings.
>
>        Marko

cheers,
maning