logo separator

[mkgmap-dev] Commit: r1073: Add highway shields and other ways of modifying values in the style files.

From Mark Burton markb at ordern.com on Fri Jul 3 12:06:08 BST 2009

A side effect of this commit is to make address search even less usable
than it was before (surely not possible, I hear you say) because it
redefines a road's name to include its reference and the highway
shield thingy (if appropriate).

So, for example, a road called "Letsbe Avenue" (where all the police
live) that has a reference A123 will now get assigned the name
"A123 Letsbe Avenue" (plus the shield code if the road type warrants it)
and so it will show up in the address search in the A section rather
than the L section (not sure what the shield code does for search).

As roads can have up to 4 labels we could set one of the labels
to be the original road name and then the searching would work as
before. The problem now is that by altering the name in the style
file we lose the original name.

Something to ponder.

Cheers,

Mark