logo separator

[mkgmap-dev] Re: Questions related to practical usage of MKGMAP

From Felix Hartmann extremecarver at googlemail.com on Thu Jul 2 18:52:03 BST 2009

2009/7/2 Marko Mäkelä <marko.makela at iki.fi>

> On Thu, Jul 02, 2009 at 12:52:21PM +0200, Felix Hartmann wrote:
> > You think wrongly here, you don't have an infinite list of objects
> available
> > for the typfile, so adding things like Bahnhof or Strasse has to be done
> in
> > data, not TYP File (no conditions possible). TYP File tags will only show
> > for streets/objects without name at all, so to achieve your goal you have
> > set name empty (but then you can't have streetnames at all).
>
> Right, I take my words back.  Some symbol codes, such as "Ground Transport"
> in the Find Places menu, are overloaded.  If we want bus stops, tram stops,
> underground stations, bus stations, and train stations appear there nicely,
> the only way we can distinguish them is by a name prefix or suffix.
>
> On the other hand, if my findings on the Edge 705 apply to all recent
> Garmin
> models, there are plenty of spare symbols for restaurants and lodging.  No
> need to add Hotel/Hostel/Motel/whatever to the name; each can have their
> own
> Find Places submenu.  The default title of these spare codes in the Edge
> 705
> is "Other".  I haven't tried playing with TYP files yet, but I would assume
> that the submenu names can be overridden.

No the submenu structure can't be overrriden - well it can but only at the
cost that you can't search for the POIs anymore. Hostel/Motel/Hotel actually
is a special case that allows for many different symbols while still being
searchable.

> > Best would be to be able to define start-with as a overall rule and not
> on a
> > per object-basis. Otherwise you have to go in deep recursives to add
> several
> > tags to the name.
>
> I'm not sure if I understand what you mean.  Can you elaborate a little,
> or give an example (using some made-up syntax)?

I.e. if you wan't to add tracktype to each ways name at the end it is easier
by doint tracktype=grade1 {add name grade1} then by adding this to each line
(i.e. highway=track & tracktype=grade1 name ({name} grade1)