logo separator

[mkgmap-dev] Re: Questions related to practical usage of MKGMAP

From Someoneelse lists at mail.atownsend.org.uk on Thu Jul 2 15:48:39 BST 2009

Marko Mäkelä wrote:
> ... Some symbol codes, such as "Ground Transport"
> in the Find Places menu, are overloaded.  If we want bus stops, tram stops,
> underground stations, bus stations, and train stations appear there nicely,
> the only way we can distinguish them is by a name prefix or suffix.

+1 to having more granularity to e.g. "Ground Transportation".  I've
always cheated up to now by messing about with the .OSM file used to
create the map to append e.g. " (Railway Station)" to railway stations,
but being able to select a less broad sub-category than "Ground
Transportation" (as you can with "Food & Drink") would be much better.

One slight caveat though - (at least on my Garmin eTrex) the items in
the menus don't show category.  For example, if I search for "Food &
Drink" I see things like "The White Bear" and "Taj Regency".  It's
obvious from the name that the first of these is a pub and the second an
Indian restaurant; I don't have to select the category "British Isles"
(which is where I've mapped amenity=pub to) to see which is which.  The
same isn't true for stations though - it would be useful to be able to
see "Alfreton (Railway Station)" and "Alfreton (Bus Station)" as
separate items on the "Transportation / All Categories" list without
having to select something like "Transportation / Bus" or
"Transportation / Railway" to see which is which.