logo separator

[mkgmap-dev] Re: Questions related to practical usage of MKGMAP

From Felix Hartmann extremecarver at googlemail.com on Thu Jul 2 11:52:21 BST 2009

2009/7/2 Marko Mäkelä <marko.makela at iki.fi>

> On Thu, Jul 02, 2009 at 09:30:30AM +0100, Dermot McNally wrote:
> > 2009/7/2 Toby Speight <T.M.Speight.90 at cantab.net>:
> >
> > > That's not the best way to do a case-insensitive test - the reason
> being
> > > that in some languages (e.g. French, I think) upper case letters have
> no
> > > accents.  So "Ecole" should match "école" (again, excuse my poor French
> > > if necessary!).  Also, in German, "Straße" should match "STRASSE".
> >
> > Your point probably still stands (for the German case anyway, where
> > you also need to regard, say, ae as equivalent to ä), but French does
> > now place accents on uppercase letters.
>
> Actually, the conversion to upper case also depends on the locale.
> Here is how: Turkish uses both a dotted i and a dotless I, both in
> upper and lower case.  In most other locales, the upper-case variant of i
> is I, but not in Turkish.  Also, comparing upper-case strings would not
> solve all issues.  For example, in Swedish and Finnish, v and w are
> sometimes sorted at the same position.
>
> I'm not sure if these examples really matter that much when comparing
> common names.  For proper names, there may be alternative spellings
> (such as old Finnish names containing W instead of V), but common names,
> such as station or hotel, should use a uniform spelling.
>
> Perhaps this could best be addressed by writing explicit rules for all
> the possible spellings and abbreviations (if they have been used contrary
> to advice).  E.g., Straße, Strasse, Str.; Bahnhof, Hauptbahnhof, Hbf.
>
> One last word: instead of editing the name tags (with things like
> default_name or prefixing or affixing "station"), I would rather include
> the TYP file information in the mkgmap style definition.  As far as I know,
> labels cannot be multilingual in the Garmin format except in the TYP file.
> Doing something about this is on my long-term TODO list.

You think wrongly here, you don't have an infinite list of objects available
for the typfile, so adding things like Bahnhof or Strasse has to be done in
data, not TYP File (no conditions possible). TYP File tags will only show
for streets/objects without name at all, so to achieve your goal you have to
set name empty (but then you can't have streetnames at all).

>        Marko

Best would be to be able to define start-with as a overall rule and not on a
per object-basis. Otherwise you have to go in deep recursives to add several
tags to the name.