logo separator

[mkgmap-dev] Memory limits for mkgmap and splitter

From Steve Ratcliffe steve at parabola.demon.co.uk on Wed Jul 1 19:18:45 BST 2009

Hi

> In PERL it is builtin "tie" functionality, I have, however, no idea
> what is the used data structure in mkgmap and splitter and how to
> translate the trick into Java.
> If you think that the change is trivial and point me to the critical
> section I might see if I get it implemented.

I was originally going to use berkeley db for the splitter and
if you go back to revision 3 in subversion there is
some code that uses the BerkeleyDB java edition.

I gave up on it because it seemed like it would take vastly more
disk space than the planet file and was much slower than I was expecting
or hoping.  But I didn't persevere that much before switching to
the current open hash map implementation, so I'm not saying that it is
unworkable.

..Steve