logo separator

[mkgmap-dev] Memory limits for mkgmap and splitter

From Paul Ortyl ortylp at 3miasto.net.pl on Wed Jul 1 18:33:51 BST 2009

2009/7/1 WessexMario <wessexmario-osm at yahoo.co.uk>:
> Instead of converting code to use RAM/hard disk, why don't you just increase
> your computer's virtual memory?
> Whether Linux (swap space) or Windows (paging file), as long as you have
> spare hard drive space you can increase virtual memory very easily, which
> will stop program failures due to memory limitations.

Been there, done that...

I have no idea how JVM manages the memory, but as soon as it gets to
swapping the whole system gets unresponsive (waiting a few minutes for
a keystroke) and the processing takes DAYS.  It means days when I
cannot use the machine for anything else.

I have no problem with letting the processing take a few days as long
as I can still use the system for other purposes.

Paul

--
Don't take life too seriously; you will never get out of it alive.
                                        -- Elbert Hubbard