logo separator

[mkgmap-dev] Transliteration and lower-case

From Ivan Kostoski ivan.kostoski at gmail.com on Wed Jun 24 02:09:54 BST 2009

Hi Steve,

On Wed, Jun 24, 2009 at 12:56 AM, Steve Ratcliffe <
steve at parabola.demon.co.uk> wrote:

> >    With no options (i.e. no --code-page), transliteration works but
> resulting
> >    map is in lowercase letters. This works in MapSource but I get only
> the
> >    upper-case letters as abbreviated street names/poi in Garmin Mobile
> XT.
>
> The only translitterations currently in mkgmap are from unicode to ascii.
> It is possible to target other code-pages if it makes sense and you
> can supply me with the transliteration table.
>
> I'm not sure how you get lowercase letters.  Mapsource shows upper-case
> letters in lowercase, but they are always upper case in the map itself.
>
> What version are you using?  There was a problem with an older version
> where you only saw the first letter of each word on certain devices.

I am using r1064 and command line I use is:

java -Xmx1024m -ea -jar mkgmap.jar -n 62233665 --family-id=773
--series-name="OSM Macedonia-INT"  \
--family-name="OSM_MKD_INT" --overview-mapname=40000773 --net --route
--country-name=MACEDONIA \
--country-abbr=MKD --road-name-pois --add-pois-to-areas --no-poi-address
--tdbfile --gmapsupp \
--description="OSM_MKD_INT" --name-tag-list="int_name,name:en,name"
OSM_MKD.osm

Which produces gmasupp.img (and same with 62233665.img) with lowercase
letters inside  In my mobile device, only capital letters are shown, i.e.
first letters of names of cities, streets on the map or only capital letters
of POIs under POI search. Mapsource shows first letter as capital and shows
rest as lower-case.

The OSM data is in unicode (i.e. bbox=21.32,41.92,21.55,42.08 where you can
find lots of it). I also use slightly modified row04.trans (attached) to add
transliteration to some extended cyrilic letters (i.e. U+0403 = Gj) plus
slight change to transliteration standard (i.e. U+0425 = 'H' istead of
'Kh'), which unfortunately depends on each country...

I guess it is possible to modify row tables to transiterate everything to
captial ASCII, however i was hoping it is more systematic that everithing is
captilized after transliteration pass if --lower-case option is not given.

Thanks,
Ivan