logo separator

[mkgmap-dev] City and postcode of streets

From Marko Mäkelä marko.makela at iki.fi on Sun Jun 14 09:57:28 BST 2009

On Sat, Jun 13, 2009 at 10:31:58PM +0100, Mark Burton wrote:
> If a road has a name or reference it will have an entry in the address
> search data structure. It needs also to have a city associated with it
> which can either be the nearest city (town, village, etc.) or the
> road can be tagged explicitly using an is_in tag.

If I remember correctly, someone mentioned that roads may have a postcode
associated with them.  Is that true?  Would it use the addr:postcode attribute
of the way?  Would it make sense to have an addr:city way attribute override
an is_in attribute?  Sometimes, post offices have different names from the
city or town.  The post office name would be more useful than the city name.

I haven't added is_in or addr:* tags to ways yet; only to POIs.  So, my
map gets the city information from the nearmost "place" point on the map.

Recently, I added addr:* to all shop=bicycle in Finland.  I'm also going
to add phone and url, but unfortunately, download.geofabrik.de (my source
of finland.osm) has been unreachable since Friday.

	Marko