logo separator

[mkgmap-dev] max-speed and arbitrary values

From Wolfgang v. Hansen wvhansen at fom.fgan.de on Thu Jun 4 15:24:23 BST 2009

On Wed, 3 Jun 2009, Thilo Hannemann wrote:

> Somebody mentioned also that the GPS units will "learn" the speed you
> are actually driving and use that for their calculation. If this is
> speculation or based on facts I don't know. At least with my Oregon 300
> I doubt it: As I use it all the time with my maps I'm cycling always in
> the car mode. So far the ETAs are still very wrong. If the GPS would
> learn the speed they should become more realistic over time.

At least the car navs (StreetPilot, nüvi) do learn your speed profile --
don't know about the outdoor navs though. These are probably the same set
of speeds that you can set in MapSource.

In addition, there should also be a slot for the max. speed for each road
in the maps. Newer devices (I don't have one of them though) along with
current maps tell you when you are driving too fast. This is a feature
that had been introduced by Garmin/Navteq quite recently.

-Wolfgang