logo separator

[mkgmap-dev] Commit: r1054: When subdivision fails to reduce number of nodes, report bbox and croak.

From Clinton Gladstone clinton.gladstone at googlemail.com on Wed Jun 3 15:01:30 BST 2009

On Tue, Jun 2, 2009 at 11:04 AM, svn commit <svn at mkgmap.org.uk> wrote:
> Version 1054 was commited by markb on 2009-06-02 10:04:38 +0100 (Tue, 02 Jun 2009)
>
> When subdivision fails to reduce number of nodes, report bbox and croak.

You know, I'm not too crazy about the "croak" part.

For example, yesterday I attempted to compile a map of a large portion
of Europe from Geofabrik.de, which provides daily extracts. The entire
procedure took many hours (osmosis -> split -> mkgmap) on my
antiquated (2 years old) hardware. Sometime in the middle of the
night, I ended up with the "croak" and a polite apology that the map
could not be compiled due to an invalid bbox somewhere.

Now to correct this, I would have to figure out where the invalid data
came from, try to correct it, upload it, and wait another day until
the Geofabrik extract is available, and then start again.

This may be a considerable incentive to correct the bad data ;-), but
it is inconvenient, to say the least, when attempting to compile large
areas. :-(

Er... would it be possible to warn and continue with the compilation,
knowing that parts of the map would be corrupt? (a "--force" option,
or something?)

Cheers.