logo separator

[mkgmap-dev] max-speed and arbitrary values

From Felix Hartmann extremecarver at googlemail.com on Wed Jun 3 11:06:47 BST 2009

Is it possible to encode arbitrary maxspeed values or can we only set in
steps of 10km/h?

For example having road  road_speed=7 associated with 35km/h, road
road_speed=6 with 27, road_speed=5 with 23, road_speed=4 with 20,
road_speed=3 with 17, road_speed=2 with 10 and road_speed=1 with 5km/h.
The difference this should make would be enough to only set
road_class=2, 1 and 0 and avoid the big time penalties for sharp turns
that happen in road_class 4 and 3.

This would be great for bicycle maps.

In Mapsource one can change the speed oneself, I noticed that dividing
default speeds by a factor of 3.5 produces pretty good estimation of
arrival times for bicylces (when using the car/motorcycle setting, as
bicycle produces rubbish routes) but on the GPS this is not possible.

@Thilo, do you understand the code good enough to write a patch for this
if possible.? I have problems understanding in which files the maxspeed
is handled.

Cheers,
Felix