logo separator

[mkgmap-dev] Commit: r1050: Improve performance of distance calculations.

From Mark Burton markb at ordern.com on Sat May 30 19:22:56 BST 2009

Hi Johann,

> i didn't want to upset you.

Actually, you didn't - I was just cruelly making fun at your expense.
Sorry, I can't help it sometimes.

I really don't care much what the functions are called, especially as
slowDistance() is no longer used anyway (apart from the check in
quickDistance() which is inactive unless compiled in.)

What is more important than the names is how they perform in terms of
accuracy and speed. Given that both functions are approximations anyway
(for example, neither take into account the height of the ground at the
coordinates so the answers will be "wrong" unless the ground is level),
we surely only need to use a function that is sufficiently accurate
such that the map quality doesn't suffer such that anyone would notice.

Cheers,

Mark