logo separator

[mkgmap-dev] Either mkgmap error or splitter error

From Wolfgang v. Hansen wvhansen at fom.fgan.de on Thu May 28 08:22:37 BST 2009

On Wed, 27 May 2009, Marko Mäkelä wrote:

> If you are editing areas.list by hand, could you please consider making
> the tile borders follow natural or political borders more closely, like
> I requested some time ago on this list?  If the tile borders at
> http://garmin.na1400.info/routable.php are accurate, you have split
> Finland into 8+ tiles, some of which share large areas with Sweden,
> Estonia, Latvia, Norway and Russia.  To me, a natural tile border would
> be the Baltic sea in the SW of Finland.  It's not very useful to have
> Estonia and Finland on the same tile; there's 80 km of water in between.
> Same for Southern Finland and Sweden.  Russia and Finland are connected
> by a small number of border crossings, and they should use different
> code pages (cp1251 for Cyrillic, cp1252 for Latin).

Some time ago I asked for the support of polygonal tiles (just like in the
Garmin maps) on this list. This way, even border towns could be assigned
to the correct country/tile. Unfortunately (for me), it seems that there
are many other and more important issues to be solved beforehand.

I've considered to plunge into the code and do it myself, but it looks
like it's going to be a major rewrite as quite a lot of the internals
depend on rectangular areas rounded to some power of 2 instead of
arbitrary points at the highest precision. In a couple of months I will
have some spare time -- if nobody does it until then, I'll give it a try.

-Wolfgang