logo separator

R: [mkgmap-dev] road_speed parameter

From Marco Certelli marco_certelli at yahoo.it on Wed May 27 15:04:29 BST 2009

This is what I know:

Road_speed: 0 to 7

Default values: 7=128Km/h, 6=108Km/h, 5=93km/h, 4=72km/h, 3=56km/h, 2=40km/h, 1=20km/h, 0=8km/h. In Mapsource you can change speeds for levels 2 to 6. My garmin nuvi 255 does not allow any change respect the default speeds. I don't know about other devices.

The speed is used for route calculation (shorter time). But for best route calculation, garmin gives also a time penalty to each turn you are required to do in a given route.

Road_class: 0 to 4

cGPSmapper says it is the main driver for the route calculation (but does't explain how it is used. maybe is also used to decide if a cross is a turn for you or you are just proceeding on the main road... I don't now but I'll made some experiments

Ciao.