logo separator

[mkgmap-dev] Greetings from Bratislava

From Johann Gail johann.gail at gmx.de on Wed May 20 21:49:00 BST 2009

> I know that pedestrian routing with garmin is not high priority, but
> just in case..
> Visiting Bratislava I noticed some wierd route suggestions walking
> trough old town. The main reason seems to be that there are plazas,
> which are not routed trough as it's area without any road continuing trough.
> Have a look at
> http://www.openstreetmap.org/?lat=48.14347&lon=17.10748&zoom=17&layers=B000FTF
> and for example "Hlavne Nametie" (the plaza at the middle). No
> pedestrian routing trough that as on garmin there is no road.
>
> In OSM data, it's tagged as
> area=yes
> highway=pedestrian
> restriction=foot  (Bad tag?)
>
> Perhaps a change where the area is still drawn as area, but the roads
> would be drawn too?

I don't know internals, and obviously this object is handled as a polygon.
But with the tag highway=pedestrian I would expect a routable way. Maybe
mkgmap can be changed to handle this case as a polygon *and* a route
along the edges of the polygon? So each connected way could be routed
through the plaza.